Exchange Replacement

Kenneth E. Lussier ken.lussier at zuken.com
Mon Apr 7 09:40:53 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 09:27, bscott at ntisys.com wrote:
> On 7 Apr 2003, at 9:10am, ken.lussier at zuken.com wrote:
>
>   Frankly, I don't think there is another product on the market that fills
> all the functions of Exchange.

I don't even need it to be one single server. If I need to set up mail,
LDAP, and whatever else separately, that's fine, too.

>   However, I have to ask: Do you *need* all the functions of Exchange?
> Exchange is an incredibly powerful groupware platform, but if all you're
> looking for is email...
>
>   What are your requirements?

I'm looking for the basic functionalities of Exchange: E-mail,
centralized contacts, shared calendars with permissions and free/busy
data, meeting requests, and the like. And, it all has to tie nicely into
the client side, since several of the users insist on using Outlook....

>   I do have a couple of additional bookmarks for products that claim to be
> "Exchange alternatives" and run on Linux.  My knowledge of them pretty much
> ends at my bookmark file, so take it FWIW:
>
>   - Samsung Contact (http://www.samsungcontact.com) (formerly HP OpenMail)

I didn't know that this had been released yet. I remember when HP
abandoned it a few years ago.

>   - Bynari InsightServer (http://www.bynari.net/)

Last I heard/read, this only ran on mainframes.

Thanks,
Kenny

"Tact is just *not* saying true stuff" -- Cordelia Chase

Kenneth E. Lussier
Sr. Systems Administrator
Zuken, USA
PGP KeyID CB254DD0