Exchange Replacement

Richard Soule Richard.Soule at oracle.com
Tue Apr 8 20:02:58 EDT 2003

Again, hit delete if talking about software from a closed source
software company offends you.

"Blake, Chris" wrote:
> Don't know how they managed this given what Oracle charges for the
> database without the email software.  For named unlimited use
> connected to the web it would be at least $36,000.  Even named-user
> based licensing is $300 per user.  Maybe I could buy the email
> software, throw out the email component, and just use the underlying
> database?  ;-)

The database is licensed for use for the collaboration suite
functionality only (email, file sharing, calendaring, etc.). If you want
to create your own tables in it and build your own applications against
it then you have to pay the 'big bucks'.

Realistically, Oracle is going after a market that has come and gone.
Microsoft and IBM have this market wrapped up and Oracle is fighting an
uphill battle.

Oracle can't really do that with a story of "It's built better so it is
worth more money" because that is not a very compelling argument. On the
other hand if you change that statement to be "It's built better, it
costs less (runs on Linux, lower license costs, easier to maintain,
etc.), and oh, your users can stick with the clients they already have."
then you might get some traction. MS is requiring you to upgrade all
your servers and clients to their latest version to get support? Maybe
you should look at Oracle... It appears to be working as we are getting
traction with customers and analysts.

That said, Oracle still is another one of those "big, big all-consuming,
all knowing, closed source, expensive, evil big-brother major corporate
entities", so proceed with caution!

Rich
--
The above statements are mine and mine only. They do not represent the
views of my employer. Licensing comments are probably made up and should