[gnhlug-announce] Hoss Traders

Jon maddog Hall maddog at dtype.org
Thu Apr 10 22:06:48 EDT 2003

Hi,

It is that time again, and "Hoss Traders" is gearing up for May 2nd and 3rd
in Hopkinton, NH.

For those of you not familiar with a "Ham Fest", this is where grown men, grown
women, and a lot of younger men and women get together to talk about Ham
radio, computer things, and eat greasy italian sausages and drink lukewarm
beer.  Yum!  People also sell and swap "stuff" (more on this later).  Normally
the festivities last from noon on Friday to dusk on Saturday, with the die-hards
camping out.  Swapping and selling "stuff" has often gone on all night.
Usually people go home with as much "stuff" as they brought, just different
"stuff".

Hopkinton has good facilities, including five large buildings ("And good roofs
too!").  This year I will be purchasing not only our normal "display area"
consisting of one or two eight-foot tables, but a table or two for selling
"stuff".  I will also be bringing the LCD projector, so we can project a
Linux screen up on the wall, and perhaps give a Linux tutorial or two.  If
things smile on me I will have a CD duplicator and/or some Knoppix disks to
take around to the various vendors and help them brand their systems as
"Linux compatible".

I will invite the UNH crew to join us inside (since it always rains) to sell
their normal accompanyment of "stuff", and if any of you have some "stuff" to
sell, please let me know.  I have some "stuff", including early copies of the
Linux Journal, ancient machinery still in the box (and some out-of-box).  You
know that you have some "stuff" also.

Hopkinton Fair Grounds is off exit 7 of Rt. 89, just NW of Concord.  There is
a small town near the fairgrounds, but for those who want to stay in a Hotel
or Motel you can stay at the Hampton (exit 1 off Rt. 89, 1-800-426-7866)
or at the Fairfield in Concord (603.224.4011).

As the time gets closer, I will be looking for volunteers to staff the booth,
create some demos, etc. If you would like to help out at Hoss Traders, please
send email to me.

See you there!!

md
--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux(R) International

Board Member: Uniforum Association, USENIX Association

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several countries.