Other *NIX apps

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Wed Apr 16 14:27:03 EDT 2003

In a message dated: 16 Apr 2003 13:08:15 EDT
"Kenneth E. Lussier" said:

>Hi All,
>
>I know that all *NIX versions (Solaris, HPUX, Linux, etc.) have their
>own little nuances, but deep down (and in some cases, really, *REALLY*
>deep down) they are supposedly all the same. This makes me wonder: Is it
>possible to run an old Solaris-based program on a Linux system? Just how
>interoperable are all of these different *NIX system? Just some fodder
>for discussion....

Well, it gets way more "deep down" than just the OS.  For example,
most Linux systems are i386 based, whereas SunOS, typically ran on
Motorola chips, and later, Sparc chips.  Solaris runs on Sparc and
UltraSparc, True64 runs on Alpha, etc.

So, while the OSes may appear similar from the "look'n'feel"
perspective, the underlying hardware is drastically different between
all these systems, making it next to impossible to run a binary
compiled for one architecture on another.

That being said, there have been attempts to "fake" the binary out,
and/or convert to a "native" binary.  DEC had a lot of success with
this when Sun abandoned SunOS in favor Solaris, and they freely
distributed a program which would run and convert your native SunOS
binaries to Digital UNIX on Alpha (most of the time they even ran
faster than than the native Sun binary on Sun hw did :)

If your app is not tied to a specific hardware architecture, and has
nothing but OS level system calls in it, then you might be in luck
by just re-compiling.  However, it seems even in the OS system call
libraries different vendors provided slightly different APIs
(the networking calls between BSD and System V seem to come to mind).

The problem here is that on one platform, the system call would
require say 3 args, but on a different one, require only 2.
Sometimes it was what they returned, say an float rather than an int.

So, yeah, on the surface, they're all UNIXy, but underneath the
covers, they're all completely different.
--

Seeya,
Paul