Emacs auto-modes and tabs

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Tue Apr 22 11:41:48 EDT 2003

David Roberts wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Derek Martin stated in their Email:

[Irrelevant deletia.]

> Derek> Not everyone uses Emacs, and not everyone wants to.
>
> Nope, but even vi knows about spaces, now if we want to
> have a realy holy war - how about the proper placement of
> the curly braces within the, in this case 'C' code
> (same/separate line as the statement, indented with code
> or not, etc.)  There, I should have opened up at least two
> points of "discussion" with that one...   >;)

I pointed out to Derek in private mail last night that the question was
specifically about Emacs. It's in the subject line. What vi does and
that other editors even exist are irrelevant to the conversation. If you
want to talk about that, then branch off a new subject.

Curly brace placement is another hot topic among programmers and my
answer is the same as for spaces vs. tabs. Do what the programmer before
you did. If you're doing your own thing, then do what you want. This is
another point where Emacs can be configured to do the right thing, or
anything that you want.