Emacs auto-modes and tabs

David Roberts droberts at mc.com
Tue Apr 22 15:44:52 EDT 2003

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Jason Stephenson stated in their Email:

[... hack-N-whack ...]

jason> >
jason> > Nope, but even vi knows about spaces, now if we want to
jason> > have a realy holy war - how about the proper placement of
jason> > the curly braces within the, in this case 'C' code
jason> > (same/separate line as the statement, indented with code
jason> > or not, etc.)  There, I should have opened up at least two
jason> > points of "discussion" with that one...   >;)
jason>
jason> I pointed out to Derek in private mail last night that the
jason> question was specifically about Emacs. It's in the subject
jason> line. What vi does and that other editors even exist are
jason> irrelevant to the conversation. If you want to talk about
jason> that, then branch off a new subject.

Nope - don't want to.  I was merely making a point we all do
things for some reason, be it forced on us by our employer or
by the teacher from CS101, or merely personal preference where
allowed.  I use emacs and I use spaces as that is what my
previous employers (and CSxxx teachers) required *and* IMNSHO
it is still better suited for use in multiple (hardcopy,
windowing, etc.) environments.

On a related note, look at our pet peeve about formatting email
for the old 80-column mail tools a lot of us still use.  One can
actually use any editor one chooses (ascii, html, or worse), but
it all comes down to a matter of what the target community will
request/tolerate first and your personal preference second.

jason>
jason> Curly brace placement is another hot topic among programmers
jason> and my answer is the same as for spaces vs. tabs. Do what the
jason> programmer before you did. If you're doing your own thing, then
jason> do what you want. This is another point where Emacs can be
jason> configured to do the right thing, or anything that you want.

OK, define "right thing".  The point you missed is the fact
your definition of the "right thing" doesn't always matter.  It
can be defined by your employer (or teacher) in their coding
guidelines and you have no say in the matter.  Most employers
don't complain about which editor you use (be it vi, emacs, or
some other editor - unless it costs them a lot of $$), but I
*have* seen plenty who demand the code be formatted in some
stated fashion - for whatever reason.  I've seen programmers
reformat complete source files because their "right thing" did
not meet the company standard "right thing".

jason>
jason> gnhlug-discuss mailing list
jason> gnhlug-discuss at mail.gnhlug.org
jason>

--
"Linux: Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste."
   -- As seen on the 'net --