ATAPI Zip disk via pf->on26->paride, partition issues

Bill Freeman f at ke1g.mv.com
Fri Apr 25 11:30:06 EDT 2003

	I've got a generic parallel port IDE adapter that works fine
with regular IDE drives using the pd, on26, and paride modules.

	Linux also happily recognizes an ATAPI Zip 250 drive connected
via this adapter, replacing the pd module with the pf module.  I can
apply fdisk to it which sees, on a sample 100 Mb Zip disk, a single
partition that it calls pf0p1 (made on a Mac, which I think accounts
for the use of partiton 1 instead of partition 4).  eject will happily
eject the disk.

	Sadly, there is no device node pf0p1.  A browse through the
pf.c file explains why.  The drive author didn't expect that ATAPI
drives might be partitioned.  It was written with LS120 ATAPI drives
in mind, which, apparently, were not partitioned.

	Does anyone already know how to fix this without rewriting the
pf driver?  I.e.; might there be some way to loop back the whole
/dev/pf0 device through some other driver that will add the partition
interpretation layer?

							Bill