I HATE SPAM (was Re: Mouse swapping on a laptop)

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Sun Aug 3 08:45:06 EDT 2003

On Sunday, Aug 3rd 2003 at 21:23 -0400, quoth Travis Roy:

=>Okay. While I agree with everything Derek is saying I have a few questions.
=>Whould it really be that hard to remove people's email addresses from the
=>archive? Does the archive really have to be all that public? Perhaps adding
=>a login would be good enough? Isn't part of the reason for having an archive
=>is so that people can go back and look up answers to stuff, if people start
=>X-no-archiving their messages then we won't have this resource anymore. What
=>about people that keep their own archives available on a publically
=>available web server that do not follow X-no-archive headers? (I used to do
=>this for another list I belonged to a long time ago).

If I could, I'd like to make a humble suggestion:

A while ago I switched from Majordomo to Majordomo2. The two systems are
not even vaguely related. MJ2 is a total rewrite and includes as part of
its functionality a web interface as well as archiving also with a web
interface. To leave it at that would be to enormously understate its
functionality. Also, IMNSHO, mj2 totally blows the doors off of Mailman.

By making the archive only open to subscribers, we completely eliminate
any address harvesting.

--
-Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have -
-happened but none stranger than this. Does your driver's license say Organ
steveo at syslang.net