term program?

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Thu Aug 7 22:47:29 EDT 2003

> Tom Buskey wrote:
>> I've always liked kermit (ckermit).  It runs on *everything*.  More
>> systems then zip/unzip and almost as many as "Hello, world!".
>
> Yep. I used Kermit quite extensively back in the day when I was dialing
> into various UNIX and mainframe hosts with a 2400bps modem on my Mac
> laptop.
>
> Kermit totally rocks. You can adjust everything about your connection.
> It saved me lots of time on numerous occasions by adjusting the download
>  window size when I got a bad line.
>
> Its scriptability was a very handy feature, too. I could script sessions
>  and automate downloads of data from one server to my UNIX account and
> then start the download to my computer, all while I sleep.

I scripted it to monitor a Micropolis Radeon RAID box.  Saved us when the
supplied software didn't detect a failed disk.  And the builtin beeper
didn't beep either.  Of course, that wasn't much worse then the Radeon
either.

> I forget where you get the source code. Is it still at columbia.edu?

Yep.  I think they charge for the windows version.  When I need a serial
terminal, I get a dos version from the old simtel20 sources.

> As for portability, I think ckermit runs on more hardware than NetBSD.

See above.  NetBSD portability comes somewhere *after* zip/unzip.  Kermit
runs on many more systems then all the BSDs combined.