bootp server

ken at flyingtoasters.net ken at flyingtoasters.net
Fri Aug 8 21:07:05 EDT 2003

> But I don't want a whole directory, I just need one file..
>
> I'm trying to follow this: http://www.freevix.org/docs/pxe.html but I
> can't run a DHCP server because it will conflict with my ISPs DHCP
> server..

It's been a while since I fooled 'round with bootp, so I -may- be
mistaken... but we'll get to that in a minute.  'Less I'm mistaken, DHCP
is really just a superset of bootp.  So your comment, above, is mistaken,
but it's mistaken (unless I'm missing something pretty obvious) on two
fronts:

1) It would conflict, anyway, since they're on the same port, and
2) Are you sure you want to be using bootp and/or dhcp on the same subnet
as your ISP?  How would your client host even get an IP?  It's pretty
unlikely -- unless your ISP is pretty generous -- that you've got multiple
IPs with which to play... and even then, if you did, you'd most likely be
on your own subnet, in which case DHCP/bootp broadcasts won't get past the
router, anyway.  Check out the DHCP RFC here for more info:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2131.txt

-Ken