bootp server

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Fri Aug 8 22:25:06 EDT 2003

> 1) It would conflict, anyway, since they're on the same port, and
> 2) Are you sure you want to be using bootp and/or dhcp on the same
> subnet
> as your ISP?  How would your client host even get an IP?  It's pretty
> unlikely -- unless your ISP is pretty generous -- that you've got
> multiple
> IPs with which to play... and even then, if you did, you'd most likely
> be
> on your own subnet, in which case DHCP/bootp broadcasts won't get past
> the
> router, anyway.  Check out the DHCP RFC here for more info:
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2131.txt

I did some fooling around and luckally my test box has a second NIC so
I just set up the dhcp/bootp server on that and networked the
freevix/freevo box that way and it worked fine.

BTW, I have as many DCHP addresses from my ISP as I want, and I
currently have 6 static IPs from them as well.. MV rocks :)