gnome startup errors

Derek Doucette derek at derek.homeunix.org
Sun Aug 10 12:26:14 EDT 2003

I came across some information after Dan gave me some ideas.  It looks
as though if I upgrade to the redhat 9 version of libgnomeui it will fix
it, however if I want to do that I get stuck in some dependency hell.
packages it wants are:

 Failed dependencies:
         GConf2 >= 2.1.90 is needed by libgnomeui-2.2.0.1-5
         ORBit2 >= 2.5.1 is needed by libgnomeui-2.2.0.1-5
         XFree86-libs >= 4.2.99 is needed by libgnomeui-2.2.0.1-5
         bonobo-activation >= 2.1.0 is needed by libgnomeui-2.2.0.1-5
         gnome-vfs2 >= 2.1.6 is needed by libgnomeui-2.2.0.1-5
         libbonobo >= 2.1.0 is needed by libgnomeui-2.2.0.1-5
         libbonoboui >= 2.1.2 is needed by libgnomeui-2.2.0.1-5
         libgnome >= 2.1.90 is needed by libgnomeui-2.2.0.1-5
         pango >= 1.2.0 is needed by libgnomeui-2.2.0.1-5

I don't know if I want to start to upgrade the packages, or the whole
box with some of these.  Does anyone have any suggestions as the better
direction?

Thanks,
Derek

On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 09:48, Derek Doucette wrote:
> While trying as you did to open a few apps from the command line that I
> could not using the gui I started to find some issues.  One program I
> tried was gnome-background-properties.  From the CL as root it opened
> fine, but not as my normal user.  Here is the error I got, and i have
> seen some similar things around before.
>
> Glib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot create instance of abstract
> (non-instantiatable) type `GtkWidget'
>
> Which is making it look like a glibc issue and makes me nervous.  Does
> this help anyone at all.
>
> Derek
>
> On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 08:25, Dan Coutu wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 00:34, Derek Doucette wrote:
> > > I have somehow broken something in gnome.  Whenever I start X as gnome
> > > is loading gnome-panel, magicdev, metacity, and nautalis all segfault
> > > and then sometimes work again.
> >
> > I had this happen just a couple days ago after I used Ximian's updater
> > to install Evolution 1.4 on my system. The problem turned out to be that
> > for some reason orbit was not getting started. Orbit is the Corba server
> > that almost all Gnome stuff uses. I was able to determine this by
> > starting applications from the command line and seeing the error
> > messages that normally go into the bit bucket when you startup things
> > from the graphic interface.
> >
> > I did find that if I logged with Gnome instead of KDE then all worked
> > correctly. I never fully resolved the issue since I reinstalled Red Hat
> > yesterday onto a new bigger drive and just migrated my old files off the
> > old drive.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dan Coutu
> > Managing Director