need help - processes and directories

ken at flyingtoasters.net ken at flyingtoasters.net
Tue Aug 12 17:47:14 EDT 2003

But lsof -does- do it.  For example:

greenroom:/home/ken/Maildir/cur# pwd
/home/ken/Maildir/cur
greenroom:/home/ken/Maildir/cur# lsof | grep "/home/ken/Maildir/cur"

lsof      12775   root  [...] /home/ken/Maildir/cur
grep      12776   root  [...] /home/ken/Maildir/cur
lsof      12777   root  [...] /home/ken/Maildir/cur

Assuming you have permissions to see the files (try it as root to be
sure), lsof should show you most everything.  lsof -can- sometimes not
work properly with, say, stale NFS handles, but that's when things start
getting weird.  If you're just looking for where something resides, use
lsof.

$.02,

-Ken