home dir in cygwin

Michael O'Donnell mod+gnhlug at std.com
Thu Feb 6 15:41:23 EST 2003

I don't know anything about CygWin but (on an
obliquely related note) I can tell you that
changing your "home directory" has a few gotchas
on Linux because not every chunk of software
figures out how to find a given account's "home
directory" by the same method.  For example,
I recently was working on a set of systems
where I found myself wishing for the customized
environment I use on my own machines, so I created
a subdirectory in root's home directory named
"mod", changed $HOME to mention that directory
and then stuck all my junk in there, including
my preferred .bashrc and such.  It worked pretty
well because most apps consult the $HOME variable
in the environment, but a few apps behaved in
unexpected ways because they instead looked in
/etc/passwd or asked NIS...