C libraries

Erik Price eprice at ptc.com
Fri Feb 7 14:45:17 EST 2003

pll at lanminds.com wrote:

 > Incidently, that's exactly what the Subversion project aims to do;
 > write a replacement for CVS.  And, rather than trying to fix the
 > brokeness of CVS's networking capability, they decided to chuck it
 > all, and write a replacement.  But, rather than write all that
 > networking code from scratch, they're using the APR, which already
 > has an inherent understanding of things like URL parsing, etc.

Too funny that you should mention that, because that's exactly what I
was reading up on.  I've been using CVS and I like it, but was thinking
about installing Subversion and putting it through its paces.  But it'd
take some planning since I'd have to run Apache 2.0, perhaps off some
high-numbered port or something.

> I think the term "portable runtime" is a little misleading in this
> sense.  You still need to compile your code with APR.  It's portable
> I think, in that it's not restricted for any one particular use, like
> a web server.

Oh, I see.  I had made the assumption that it was some kind of C-based
version of the JRE.

> Also, the Subversion architecture docs might be pretty informative
> about how they're using the APR as well.  You can find subversion
> here:
>
> 	http://subversion.tigris.org/

It was these very docs that first led me to the APR a half hour ago.

Thanks Paul, that clarifies a lot.

Erik