CVS

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Fri Feb 7 16:08:29 EST 2003

pll at lanminds.com said:

>For example, CVS, which is the revision control system of choice in
>the Free/Open source world is really nothing more than a bunch of
>shell scripts layered on top of RCS and stuck together with a lot of
>duct tape and chewing gum.  It has no inherent knowledge of a

This is a myth.  CVS doesn't use RCS at all nowadays.  No shell
scripts either.  It was rewritten in C a long time ago.

>network, or of client/server architecture.  Many efforts have been

CVS can be local or have a CVS server with or w/o a login and passwd,
like ftp.  I've also run it through an SSH tunnel very nicely.

There are various clients that work through this client/server interface
nicely such as emacs, xemacs, tkCVS, WinCVS. The emacs client can be
part of dired too.

>made to rectify this situation, however, everyone really knows, deep
>down, that what CVS needs is a complete re-write from the ground up.

It has been rewritten once.  You should read some documentation on
a current version of CVS.

--
-------
Tom Buskey