CGOs and SSL?

Dan Coutu coutu at snowy-owl.com
Tue Feb 18 17:38:20 EST 2003

pll at lanminds.com wrote:
> Has anyone else ever had problems running CGI scripts under an SSL
> enabled Apache?  I'm trying to use the usemod-wiki, which is small,
> self-contained wiki written entirely in perl.  Everything works just
> fine if I'm running it on port 80 without SSL.  As soon as I turn on
> SSL and run over port 443, it stops work (i.e., I can no longer edit
> pages).

I'm guessing you already checked your web server configuration for the SSL
instance of the virtual host. If not, do.

> I'm guessing that something to do with the SSL is interfering with
> the passing of CGI params, however, I can't seem to pin it down.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for debugging CGIs? (I turned on -w,
> didn't help much).

Something I find to be very useful is to add (if it's not already there)
'require CGI::Carp' to the perl code. Then you can add carp('yourmessage')
calls wherever you like in order to see what is really going on. The
messages will show up in the web server's error log (typically
/var/log/httpd/error_log on many Linux systems.)

Additionally, if you wrap them in a statement like:

	carp("Received name with value = " . $Name) if $Debug;

Then you can enable/disable them with one easy edit by assigning $Debug the
value of either 0 or 1.

--

Dan Coutu
Managing Director