CUPS help?

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Thu Feb 20 12:52:12 EST 2003

Thanks Matt, I found the lpoptions command yesterday, but at the time
it didn't help for some reason I'm still not sure of.  But I've
worked around that and can now use lp to do just about everything I
need to (though I'm still working on getting the staple option
working :)

However, a question...

In a message dated: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:16:55 EST
"Matthew J. Brodeur" said:

>lpoptions also gives you the concept of instances which can then be
>used as destinations for the "lp" command.

While I understand this, is there any way to do this on a
server-basis?  My understanding is that lpoptions, xpp, and gtklp are
all client-side utilities.  Can I use lpoptions to create universal
"instances" on a print-server which do things like define N-up/duplex?

For example, I have one really big printer with tons of options.  I'd
like to create instances and name them so people don't have to worry
about manually selecting certain options.  So I'd like printers named:

	dup		# simple duplex printing
	4up		# 4 up per page
	4up-dup		# 4 up per page, duplex
	4upd-staple	# 4 up, duplex stapled

In the web interface I was able to create a second printer which was
nothing more than a copy of the first one, but I just set the default
to be duplex.  However, I can't seem to set N-up printing via the web
interface.

Of course, N-up printing works fine when manually specifying the
options on the lp command line, so this leads me to believe there's
some client-side pre-processing going on before handing it off to the
server, and then to the printer (like running it through a2ps or
mpage).

Is that accurate?

Thanks,

--