CUPS help?

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Thu Feb 20 14:12:05 EST 2003

In a message dated: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 14:04:28 EST
Mark Komarinski said:

>> So, I switched my config from using ipp://hostname:631/ to
>> using socket://hostname:9100, and everything works just ducky :)
>
>...but single-sided printing was working before this change?  Strange...

Yeah.  The only thing I can think of is that the JD port 9100,
understands postscript, where as the ipp port does not, and you need
to then rely upon the printer to handle duplexing the document (i.e.,
page layout, not just the page flipping).  I'm speculating that using
the JD port allows you to send the raw postscript to that port
pre-formatted for duplex printing, and then the printer interprets
that in order to be told which way to flip; long or short edge.

Of course, this all speculation, all I know is that I just printed a
250 page doc 4-up/duplex through cups and it worked fine.  I'm happy
(well, not really, but it's working better than the old method of
converting pdf->ps->a2ps for 4-up/duplex->smbprint :)
--

Seeya,
Paul