CUPS help?

Vince McHugh vince_mchugh at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 21 16:28:29 EST 2003

Paul,

   Sorry I could not respond to your CUPS problem as
quickly as I would have liked, but I've been out on
the road swamped with work. Making up for the Holiday
& Snow day. Now that I have had a chance to REALLY
read your post I noticed

> So, I switched my config from using
> ipp://hostname:631/ to

I have had the most luck with either lpd or port 9100.
On older printers lpd Seems to be more commonly
available. On the newer ones most also have port 9100.

I also noticed that the syntax on the CUPS web tool
for ipp was slightly different
It has “ipp://hostname/ipp/port1” I don’t know if that
would’ve made a difference on your printer or not.

The syntax for lpd is "lpd://hostname/queue" If the
Xerox copiers your printing to have fiery print
controllers the queue is probably "print". I usually
make sure I can ping the host by name or you could use
the ip address inplace of the host name.

> using socket://hostname:9100, and everything works
> just ducky :)
>
> Thanks everyone!
> --
>
> Seeya,