Linux booting problems

Bayard R. Coolidge bayard at tds.net
Thu Feb 27 16:33:01 EST 2003

At  the risk of sounding like a smart aleck, I would very strongly
suggest that
anyone building a test kernel like this on an i386-based system, do so by
doing a 'make bzdisk' and have it expectorate the kernel under test onto a
floppy. This will help reduce the finger-pointing around LILO and /boot,
etc.,
and therefore reduce the amount of troubleshooting necessary, and allow
you to go back to a known state to rebuild your kernel again.

Also, RH 7.2 is getting a bit old, and it's possible (and I honestly
don't know
for sure, since I run SuSE) that there may be some subtle issues around the
compiler suite in 7.2. (Outdated libraries or some such). I'm sure that
others
may be able to tell me why I'm wrong about this, however :-)

HTH,

Bayard