'make bzSomethingOtherThanOnAFloppy [was Re: Linux booting problems ]

Bayard R. Coolidge bayard at tds.net
Thu Feb 27 16:52:33 EST 2003

 >>> So, when this happens, and we're all living in a floppy-less world,
 >>> how do then do things like 'make bzdisk' ?

Beats me, although to be honest, I've had the same problem on Alpha
for a couple of years, although it's been months since I've booted my Alpha,
much less built a kernel for it.

Clearly, it will be a bit trickier to do experimental kernel builds. The
thing
that caught my attention in the ongoing discussion was the automatic
invocation of LILO. I was not aware that that was the case, but since it's
been a couple of years since I've built a kernel that wasn't on a floppy, I
guess I'm just ignorant.

I suspect that we'll all have to get used to being very, very careful about
what /boot/System.map points to, and what kernels are called what in /boot
and so forth. I haven't tried booting a SCSI ZIP disk, but that might be one
possibility IMNSHO.

B.