Newsgroup server

Bob Bell bobbell at zk3.dec.com
Mon Jan 13 16:19:58 EST 2003

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 03:56:15PM -0500, Tilly, Lawrence <Lawrence.Tilly at libertymutual.com> wrote:
> The server suggested by Paul below does not carry any *binaries
> groups.  This is the same problem I'm having with my ISP (metrocast)
> and is what is going to drive me to setting up leafnode (or something
> similar) late this spring. Does anybody have any experience with
> a news server that carries those at a reasonably low cost?

http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Usenet/Feed_Services/

I know Supernews is pretty popular amongst *binaries users.  I think
Giganews is also pretty popular.  Other options that look good are
1usenet.net.  usenet.com and alibis.com have interesting structures that
let you download a good quantity, but force you to move to (potentially)
more congested servers to do so after you exhaust your quota on the
other servers.

    Consider than whether you populating an NNTP feed for yourself, or
for thousand of customers of your ISP, the bandwidth requirement to feed
that NNTP feed are approximately equal.  Therefore, I would not expect
to be able to find a full NNTP feed at a cheap price.  You might be able
to find access to most NNTP groups for NNTP clients at a reasonable
price.  (I don't know how they tell the difference; perhaps they cap the
amount of data transfer per month).

--
Bob Bell <bobbell at zk3.dec.com>
 "If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port