Hard drive needs low-level format?

Hewitt Tech hewitt_tech at attbi.com
Mon Jan 20 13:19:02 EST 2003

That's why I mirrored the disk and replaced it but I have a very uneasy
feeling about the durability of the drive. I'm quite unimpressed with having
to do this with an ostensibly new technology ATA drive.

-Alex

I've seen this before, quite a while ago where the disks were not

properly formatted. I've seen them where they had been formatted with

the incorrect bad block information. This sometimes comes from the disk

data being copied in a manner that does not preserve the bad block data

setup at the factory when the initial low level format was done. Your

best bet is to back up any data on there and do a low level format to

rebuild the bad block tables.