Hard drive needs low-level format?

Ben Boulanger ben at blackavar.com
Mon Jan 20 14:02:30 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 12:36, Hewitt Tech wrote:
> What are other people's experiences with these drives? The drive does not
> overheat AFAIK, but I do notice that the problem is more pronounced at
> system startup then after the system has been running for a while.

It does happen and it's not necessarily an indication that the drive
itself is bad.  Ignoring the other components (cable, controller,
software, etc), a bad format can be the cause.. even flakey power during
the format could have caused it.  If it does it again, it's time to
question the drive and you -can- get maxtor to replace it... given that
you have enough time to give them the amount of grief necessary.

Ben