Email hosting (was: ATTBI/Comcast rant)

Hewitt Tech hewitt_tech at attbi.com
Wed Jan 22 19:26:40 EST 2003

Ah yes, but why, after a pile of telecommunications companies went bankrupt
laying thousands of miles of buried fibre-optics cables are we still talking
about dial-up connections? What *does* it cost to deliver high speed? For
that matter, I think copper/fibre is passé. It should be possible to use
wireless and it ought to be dirt cheap. When Mediaone delivered cable-modem
service in our area they thought they'd be doing well if they got a 3%
penetration. One of their techs told me that in fact they were achieving 17%
and higher depending on the town they were operating in. I know there has
been a big improvement in the speed of connections over the last few years
but we're not exactly using 110 baud modems anymore are we? Should I expect
to pay $100k for a shiny 2.8 gig P4 computer? Ah the good old days, not!

-Alex

P.S. What we're seeing here is a consolidation of providers who can get away
with high prices because they are monopolies. Verizon hasn't exactly pushed
DSL and most of the companies that depended on them to provide the lines
were driven out of business. These guys really aren't competing. I saw a
discussion on the Libranet mailing list recently where some Canadians were
relating the cost of DSL and cable-modem in their areas. They were paying
about 1/3 of what we pay.