Red Hat End-of-Life

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Thu Jan 30 08:51:20 EST 2003

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 07:02:29 -0500
Randy Edwards <redwards at golgotha.net> wrote:

>     I've been doing some reading on RH's announcement that it'll only
>     produce
> security updates for its versions of Linux for a year and will then
> End-of-Life them.  I was wondering if anyone had comments on how this
> will impact them; will it?
I can respect the concept of providing security updates on a release for
a limited time. I think that 1 year is a bit short for something like
Linux. I use SuSe Linux, and have not seen a similar announcement.
Vendors always want you to upgrade to their most current releases. And,
it is expensive to maintain multiple streams.

This certainly affects us at the BLU as it does other low end users. We
generally run a single release with updates for quite a while, then we
stage a new release on another hardware box. This is probably where
Gentoo may have an advantage because it uses only mainstream components,
and you build directly from the component sources, not from the distro.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group