Red Hat End-of-Life

Randy Edwards redwards at golgotha.net
Thu Jan 30 09:52:07 EST 2003

> This certainly affects us at the BLU as it does other low end users. We
> generally run a single release with updates for quite a while, then we
> stage a new release on another hardware box.

    This is common all over; I can't see this as going over very well in a
corporate environment.  Users are forced to pay for the advanced server or to
eat the higher admin costs of updating.

    I can see Red Hat's desire to eliminate some free updates, and/or to cut
down on the number of releases they're supporting.  I just don't get the logic
of this approach.  It'd seem to me like it'll work to slow down Linux's
"creep" into the knooks and crannies of IT in some orgs, just because of the
update headaches.  IMHO a wiser approach would be to slow down the number of
releases to something more manageable.

--
One reason that few people are aware there are programs running the
internet is that they never crash in any significant way: the free