MicroSoft hit by Slammer

David Roberts droberts at mc.com
Thu Jan 30 09:50:20 EST 2003

I have heard multiple times on this group how it is
the failure of people to keep on top of updates
which opens the door to attacks, but I read an
article this morning on how MicroSoft failed to do
so and was also attacked by Slammer.  One particular
statement (hopefully not taken out of context is:

   "... security experts said it points to
    a larger issue: Microsoft's process for
    keeping customers' software secure is
    hugely flawed...

While this doesn't mean any of my data was open to
viewing (patch, personal, etc.), it doesn't
alleviate any of my concerns with the idea my
family's new system (when running XP) connects to
a M$ to exchange info every time I (or another
family member) does an upgrade and some installs.
These system validations could possibly be placing
information on the very same servers which were
just attacked...

I am fairly ignorant in just what is shared/stored
by Micro$oft and that may be why I am concerned, but
does anyone know what information is *really* shared
and/or stored by Micro$oft?

Kind of makes me wonder as well if it would ever be
possible for someone to break into a Micro$oft
server and get patch info on windows systems to use
in targeting vulnerable systems for exploitation
(yeah - I'm paranoid).  Just another reason I don't
like the idea of sharing info with Big Brother...

dlr

Article is here for anyone who may be interested:
  http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,57439,00.html

--
"Linux: Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste."
   -- As seen on the 'net --