How-To for switching from DHCP to static IP

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Tue Jul 1 10:54:09 EDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 10:35:56AM -0400, Kenny Donahue wrote:
> Does anyone know of a how-to for switching from
> from DHCP to a static IP?  I tried using the RH
> GUI tool (useless) and modifying the files that I think
> are involved
> ie: use /route/ to check the gateway check these files:
> /etc/yp.conf
> /etc/hosts
> /etc/sysconfig/network
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> /etc/resolv.conf

It should be easy enough to change network, ifcfg-eth0, and resolv.conf.
BUT, RH 8 (and maybe 9) don't kill off dhcpd, so it may still be calling
the shots.  See if it's running and kill it.  Then stop the network and
restart.

I hate to say it, but the best way to make sure everything works right is
..well..reboot.  Many apps (sshd, etc.) will know you've changed the
address, but if you're using something like NFS, it may barf.

-Mark