HTML/CSS question

Erik Price eprice at ptc.com
Tue Jul 1 12:55:56 EDT 2003

pll at lanminds.com wrote:

>   Erik> dt { float: left; margin: 3em }
>   Erik> dd { margin: 5em; }
>
> Doh!!!!
>
> Thanks, I'm obviously just learning the CSS thing, and it didn't
> occur to me to re-define the dt/dd tags :)

Except, unfortunately, the above example doesn't render as I had
intended (at least not in Mozilla 1.3).  But perhaps you can play with
some positioning to get it.

Damn it, the whole point of CSS is to make things easier for the
designer, and this seems like such a *simple* use case -- but I can't
find any resources explaining how to do it!

> Btw, what the 3/5em?

Well, I was just thinking that your term might not be wider than 2em,
ems being the height of a capital M in whatever the current
font/fontsize is, so this would put your term at 3em from the left and
your definition at 5em from the left... sort of.  It was a quickie.

Erik