Samba + W2K question

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Thu Jul 3 09:27:11 EDT 2003

On 3 Jul 2003, at 8:49am, cole at tuininga.org wrote:
> *hangs head in shame*   Duh!

  Don't feel bad.  I did the exact same thing when I was getting up to speed
on Samba PDC support.  Our stock config file from the pre-PDC Samba had the
same line in it (because, lacking PDC support, root had no business logging
in via Samba).  I just copied our stock config file for the PDC work.  It
wasn't until I cranked up the Samba logging level and noticed the message
about it denying user "root" that I realized what I'd done.

  The *really* ironic part is that I actually typed out the above in my
original reply, but then deleted it, thinking it was too unlikely a
scenario.  :-)

> Maybe this is a good idea - I'll get it running without first.  Later,
> perhaps when I've learned to notice the obvious (see above) I'll try to
> turn on the roaming profiles.  8)

  The tricky parts about roaming profiles are:

  - If you have a mix of Win9X and WinNT systems, it gets messy.  Briefly,
you have to keep the roaming profile stuff in the user's NT home directory
(which does not have to be their Unix home directory).

  - Roaming profiles and shares that change their path (i.e., anything with
a variable in the "path =" statement, e.g., "homes") do not get along at
all.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>