Hello. Is anyone there?

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Tue Jul 8 13:38:20 EDT 2003

Lots of interesting commentary here.

* Why do I use RBL's in the 1st place? Because I would much rather reject
mail before it's received than after. If I filter it out after then they
know that I have accepted it. The fact that they always try multiple times
after a 500 series error code is just even more grating. If you don't run
your own domain, then you really don't have access to this technique.

* Derek Martin said that you have no way of knowing if you've missed
important mail. Not true: I get a report every morning showing what
senders were rejected. (I just wasn't paying attention.)

* Jeff Kinz says it's not important to make sure that you are accepted by
all RBLs. I totally disagree on this one. You don't have to be accepted by
an RBL but you should at least know why they are rejecting you and to
have at least made the effort to try to clear up the conflict. Like I
mentioned earlier, some RBLs base themselves on vastly different criteria.
Some criteria are acceptable and some are not (to me). For example, I
mentioned one RBL that rejects all clients of uunet. Another rejects all
dynamic ip addresses. You have to decide what sets are right for you.

This problem between easynet and codemeta issuch an incredibly small
factor of how much I reject on a daily basis, that I would recommend
anyone who wanted to use a good rbl to *start* with this one.

--
-Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have -
-happened but none stranger than this. Does your driver's license say Organ
steveo at syslang.net