[gnhlug-announce] SLUG "problem solution" meeting Monday 7/14 7pm at UNH in Morse 301

Bob Bell bbell at hp.com
Thu Jul 10 14:24:17 EDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 11:47:14AM -0400, Brian <lists at karas.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 10:16, Bob Bell wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 06:56:51AM -0400, Brian <lists at karas.net> wrote:
> > > I think many sites consider downtime to just be part of life for
> >
> >     That's pretty stupid if they do.  Clustering technologies should let
> > you avoid this.
>
> Not every site, even large ones, are worried about 101% uptime.
> Clusters are a great solution, but they do also require more investment,
> and more maintenance and staff expertise.  It is simply not worth it to
> everyone.

    Definitely more investment, and definitely not worth it for everyone
(but hopefully to enough people to keep me gainfully employed), but not
always (significantly) more maintenance.  One of the key benefits of
TruClusters is a "single system image", so that apps only need to be
installed once, /etc/ files (usually) only changed in one place, etc.
(I think OpenMosix may be the same way)

--
Bob Bell <bbell at hp.com>
 "Windows 98: n. minor bug-fix/patch release of 32-bit extensions