[gnhlug-announce] SLUG "problem solution" meeting Monday 7/14 7pm at UNH in Morse 301

Brian lists at karas.net
Thu Jul 10 11:47:14 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 10:16, Bob Bell wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 06:56:51AM -0400, Brian <lists at karas.net> wrote:
> > I think many sites consider downtime to just be part of life for
>
>     That's pretty stupid if they do.  Clustering technologies should let
> you avoid this.

Not every site, even large ones, are worried about 101% uptime.
Clusters are a great solution, but they do also require more investment,
and more maintenance and staff expertise.  It is simply not worth it to
everyone.

> appropriate.  Sites willing to pay for this sort of technology really

And I think the "willing to pay" part is key.  We've put put temp "work
in progress" type pages up for customers, generally a courtesy.  Few are
willing to pay even for this, much less for a clustering solution.

My original point was that while there ARE solutions available to
minimize downtime to practically zero, for 95% of the sites out there
it's really not an issue worth pursuing.

Have a good backup handy, some spare hardware, and a decent MOP and you
shouldn't have any issues...
--
Brian <lists at karas.net>