DSL firewall/router solutions?

joe kagenski joe at kagenski.net
Mon Jul 14 16:40:06 EDT 2003

more than a theory.  WIth the Linky befsr41, some of the newer firmware is
(using
a highly technical term here), crap.   Some of the 1.43.x releases had
problems causing the
router to hang often.  Fortunately, I had kept some older releases around
and was able to
flash back to a stable 1.42.x version (.7 is good).   As usual, if it's not
broken...

every brand seems to have some problems and some good points.  I and a lot
of others
have had real good luck with this unit.  I've known some dlink, smc,
netgear to work and
not work too...

The other thing that I have found is to keep the AP separate from the
router.  This has come
in handy when the location for the router isn't optimal as  I can move the
AP to a better
location without resorting to boosters.  And, when it's time to upgrade to
a newer AP or to
the VPN router, I can do it without taking everything down...

joe