Errr! DSL is here, DSL is gone.

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Mon Jul 14 18:30:43 EDT 2003

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, at 12:06pm, pll at lanminds.com wrote:
> Errr, I send the wrong e-mail to the list :)

  Actually, I think you sent half of the wrong e-mail to the list.  :)  I
responded to parts of it anyway.  I'll also response to some of the new
parts you just posted:

> Anyone have any experience with Verizon for DSL?

  Yes.

> How bad is it?

  Surprisingly good, for a Verizon product.  Which means it often sucks.
Reliability tends to be good, except when it's not, in which case it drives
you insane.  Customer service & tech support is a joke.  If you have to call
them, I recommend instead beating your head against a brick wall.  It feels
better, and is more rewarding.

  Their "registration" process more-or-less requires that you run some
software on an MS-Windows system.

  But I'd rather have Verizon DSL then dialup over a Verizon POTS line.

  You also have to remember: Verizon owns the telephone wires, so no matter
what, if you have DSL, Verizon is still involved.

> Should I just wait until Comcast comes through with broadband?

  When it comes to customer-service, reliability, and/or technology, Comcast
is not significantly better or worse then Verizon.  Cable Internet is
frequently faster than DSL, though.  However, even that depends on your
distance to the CO, quality of the lines, the amount of over-subscription
going on in your area, any bandwidth caps the provider might have in place
in your area, the phase of the moon, the average life-span of a Whelk in a
supernova, and several other less-obvious factors.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>