DSL firewall/router solutions?

Bill Mullen moon at lunarhub.com
Mon Jul 14 18:46:18 EDT 2003

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 bscott at ntisys.com wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, at 10:19am, pll at lanminds.com wrote:
>
> > Or, is it just easier to use iptables/netfilter on my system at home and
> > make that the router/ firewall for my network?
>
>   For someone with your experience level, Paul, I'd say to go with IPTables.
> It isn't hard, and you'll never run into something you can't do.

Perhaps the ideal solution would be to scare up a low-spec box and throw
in a couple of cheap NICs, then put SmoothWall onto it. It'll give you
everything a router can and more, is a snap to set up and configure, and
you can ssh in to it and play with the config files directly when you have
a particularly tricky hoop that needs jumping through. :)

>   Just don't define any routes via gateways that don't exist.  ;-)

Well, with the possible exception of that one ... ;)

--
Bill Mullen   moon at lunarhub.com   MA, USA   RLU #270075   MDK 8.1 & 9.0
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people