Filesystem overhead

Bill Freeman f at ke1g.mv.com
Wed Jul 30 17:48:06 EDT 2003

	I noticed in the text that I sent to Ben that he quoted, that I
typed "...washing machine sided drives...".  I really meant, should
anyone be in doubt, "...washing machine SIZED drives...".

	Also, thinking about it later, I'm likely wrong that an inode
was a whole block, even with 512 byte blocks.  More likely is that
original UFS inodes were 64 bytes, with 8 fitting in a 512 byte block.
I'm sorry, I don't have any early sources to check on this.  If I
scrounge in the basement I might find my bound copies of the Unix
Programmers Manual (UPM), which might have a white paper on the
filesystem, but this seems to be too academic to bother.

							Bill