Filesystem overhead

Andrew W. Gaunt quantum at lucent.com
Thu Jul 31 08:47:22 EDT 2003

We're got some boxen here each with a 3ware RAID controller 7x200GB
disks in RAID5
configuration. They run Redhat 8 with LVM splitting the array into
logical volumes. The logical
volumes have ext3 filesystems on them. I think it's kind of neat that we
can use tools  to manage
them that apparently were origianlly written for ext2 (tune2fs, e2fsadm,
resize2fs). I have
to wonder: Is ext3 an extension to ext2 that adds the journalling in
such as way that  these
tools don't know the difference or do the tools handle ext2/ext3
differently, only the names
have not been changed (to protect the innocent).

--
_| _| : : }   quantum at lucent.com - http://www-cde.mv.lucent.com/~quantum
 -(O)-==-o\   andrew_gaunt at hotmail.com - http://www.gaunt.org