thread limit question

Bryan Kate bryankate at metrobility.com
Mon Jun 2 13:38:55 EDT 2003

thank you for replying!! i have been on this issue for a while and it is
driving me insane.

> Let's cut to the chase here:  are you creating detached threads?  Can
> this work in your environment?  Doing this would probably allow you to
> create a lot more threads.

yes, my threads are detached.

> Note: if you have to create *a lot* of threads all the time, it might
>       be worthwhile to create your own thread-pool.

i am creating a few pools, it is just that i need to support ALOT of
devices, so my pools might be 100+ threads.  i dont need thousands, but
maybe more than 255...

i dont see what the problem is, pthread_create returns 11 on thread 255,
and if i do a perror on it, it just says Success... it isnt returning
EAGAIN, indicating that i hit PTHREAD_THREADS_MAX (which is set at
16000+), and my ulimit on processes is 4093....

i am beginning to think there is another setting somewhere (the shell or
in login?) that allows a limitation on processes. i just cant find it.

- bryan