Sendmail configuration

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Mon Jun 16 11:17:38 EDT 2003

In a message dated: 15 Jun 2003 22:05:21 EDT
Jeff Macdonald said:

>I don't understand what you are trying to do. I use this feature for
>SPAM tracking. Every time a website requires an email address I do this:
>
>jeff+<vendor>@virtualbuilder.com
>
>eg: jeff+thinkgeek at virtualbuilder.com
>
>If I get mail addressed to this address that is not from thinkgeek then
>I know they've sold my address. I do not need to create an account for
>each plussed user because sendmail will first try the plussed address
>and if that fails it then it will remove the plussed portion and try
>that address.

I only do it for mailing lists and vendors which I do want to mail me
stuff.  For sites which superfluously require 'registration' for no
apparent gain to me (like NYTimes, etc.) I use
"sales at theirdomain.name.  e.g., sales at nytimes.com ;)
--

Seeya,
Paul