web mail

ken at flyingtoasters.net ken at flyingtoasters.net
Tue Jun 17 16:00:29 EDT 2003

> What are people using for webmail these days?  Squirrelmail?
> Something else?  War stories (good or bad)?

I'm a big fan of Squirrelmail.  It's doing the job quite nicely, and with
the plugins, it's incredibly extensible.  Heck: I'm typing in it now, from
my home account.  (Though apparently *@#$&*&D#!!! Adelphia's blocked my
port 80, so I'm having to VPN in to use it.)  There are some hitches, eg.,
not all the plugins work, and I wish they kept a list of which ones were
under active development/maintenance, and which ones weren't.
Squirrelmail, itself, however, is under very active development, and 1.4
shipped out the door a couple of weeks ago.  On my left folderbar, I also
have a mini calendar and the local weather.  I do filtering for my
folders, and, while I personally run everything through bogofilter via my
MTA, there's also a Bayesian plugin for Squirrelmail itself.

Bottom line?  It won't buy your groceries, but it's a darn nice tool.  If
development were to suddenly come to a sudden halt today, I'd be perfectly
happy with the product as it stands; as it is, I look forward to further
enhancements and features (which, 'cause they're plugins, are generally
optional: a good way to avoid bloat).

$.02,

-Ken

P.S.  While 1.4 was, IMHO, an incremental improvement, if you haven't used
SM since 1.0.x, 1.2 was a dramatic improvement.