Data retrieval from dead laptop

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Thu Jun 19 08:37:15 EDT 2003

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, at 9:41pm, roger at bcah.com wrote:
> A Sony VAIO Z505JS (PCG-5201).

  Oh.  A Sony.  Nevermind.  They're all different.  And a pain.  And Sony
doesn't believe in documentation.  Or customer service.  Good luck.

> I should have been more precise. I'm sure it's a 44-pin connector, but
> the hard drive apparently has four more address jumper pins nearby,
> separated from the usual 44 pins by a one column gap.

  Yes, that is standard, too.  Those are used to select "master" vs "slave"
and so on.  With no jumpers, the drive is in "single drive, master" mode.

> I'm not going to be convinced that it's mechanically possible to connect a
> vanilla 44-pin connector to this until I see it.

  Oh, I don't blame.  I don't trust *anything* until I see it working.  :-)

> All good points. But the drive in an external enclosure with a USB cable
> is potentially a lot more useful.

  Sure is, if you plan on actually using it.  :-)  Like I said, for many
situations, the only time someone will need it is if they are doing what you
are doing...  :-)

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>