Wireless and Linux?

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Thu Mar 20 11:07:36 EST 2003

>>>  - Are you using WEP (Worthless Encryption Protocol, AKA Wireless
>>>    Equivalent Privacy)?  If so, what is the key?
>>
>> Yes, and see above :(
>
>  Well, if WEP was any good, that would be a problem.  Fortunately,
however,
>WEP sucks.  Get the right software, and you should be able to crack the key
>in a few hours of sniffing.

It really depends on the version of WEP.. Cisco has WEP with some of it's
own stuff and that makes it work rather well, most patched (newer firmware)
APs don't use "shared key" encryption any more and that also makes it harder
to crack WEP since there's less weak packets. WEP is better then nothing at
all and will make most war drivers move on to something that doesn't have
WEP because there's so many open networks.

Mike (from Signull) and I have done tests.. we've left Kismet collecting
packets for DAYS and were never able to get WEPCrack to crack the packets..
This was sniffing packets between an Airport AP with the newest firmware and
a powerbook.