Wireless and Linux?

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Thu Mar 20 11:24:25 EST 2003

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, at 11:07am, travis at scootz.net wrote:
> It really depends on the version of WEP.. Cisco has WEP with some of it's
> own stuff and that makes it work rather well ...

  Yah, basically, Cisco has an extension that auto-generates new WEP keys
and distributes them.

> ... most patched (newer firmware) APs don't use "shared key" encryption
> any more ...

  I didn't know that was possible.  I'll have to check that out.  Cool.  Do
you have a URL, or something I can Google for?  The obvious is just turning
up matches on why WEP is bad.  :-)

> WEP is better then nothing at all and will make most war drivers move on
> to something that doesn't have WEP because there's so many open networks.

  Yes, but that's not what we're talking about here.  :-)

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>