[OT] help w/ bitwise comparison operators

Erik Price eprice at ptc.com
Mon Mar 24 10:14:44 EST 2003

Derek D. Martin wrote:
> At some point hitherto, Erik Price hath spake thusly:
>
>>Do you really have to convert the number to binary and then do a
>>digit-for-digit comparison?
>

> Bear in mind that if this is for an exam, your prof will likely want
> to SEE the binary conversion of the two numbers.  It may also be to
> your benefit to do so.  A wrong answer is wrong, but a solution that
> is done partially correctly may get you partial credit.

I wish that were true in my case!  AFAIK it's administered via a
terminal and is multiple choice.  Which I fondly recall in the good old
days used to mean "one possible answer out of several" but for this test
most questions have more than one correct answer and you have to get
them all in order for a question to be marked "correct" -- no more
process-of-elimination!!   >:(

Erik