Automating Red Hat updates (was Re: A call for recomendations and helpful some advice)

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Wed Mar 26 09:23:57 EST 2003

Derek D. Martin wrote:
> At some point hitherto, Jason Stephenson hath spake thusly:
>
>>Under the RHN program (which up2date is one part of), you only get 1
>>computer for free. Any more than that and you must pay. When I was a
>

> So, don't use up2date.  If you have more than one system, it's
> certainly worth your bandwidth to simply mirror the Red Hat updates
> tree.  Make the result an NFS export, and write a simple shell script
> to update your systems.  If you don't want to get complicated, this
> script can be as simple as 'rpm -Fvh *.rpm' (in the appropriate
> directory, of course).

If you read further in my post, or in one of my other posts, you'll read
that I did just that. I also have a script that will make update CDs
from an updates.redhat.com mirror, for those times when NFS just won't
work. The script is pretty neat in that it only picks the latest
versions of rpms off the mirror to put on the CD. If anyone wants to see
the script, please let me know.

BTW, I won't the script in Perl to run on FreeBSD, so I didn't use any
of the Perl RPM packages. They weren't compatible with the version of
RPM that FreeBSD installs (when you install a port that needs RPM).