AOL now rejecting mail from Comcast residential IPs.

Thomas Charron tcharron at ductape.net
Mon Mar 31 14:30:38 EST 2003

Quoting pll at lanminds.com:
> But I can write a <insert favorite language here> program to directly
> connect to port 25 on any given system and speak SMTP, and
> technically I am not running an SMTP server.  Actually, what I'm
> doing, is running an SMTP *CLIENT* which is using the PROPER protocol
> for SENDING E-MAIL.  Yet, by your argument, I should not have the
> right to choose the client I wish and send this e-mail however the
> fsck I want?  Sorry, as Derek stated, outgoing SMTP does not a server
> make :)

  No, it's saying you cant use their servers as your SMTP server for sending
remote mail.  You are NOT their client, their own clients are.  Ok, the phrase
client is getting overused here, but one being a paid member, and another an
outside entity.  They're saying 'I dont wanna talk to you directly, please use
one I regognize.

> But the rules do not state one single thing about how I have to send
> e-mail.  There may be rules stating I can't run a private server, but
> a private SMTP server is for INCOMING SMTP, not outgoing.  Outgoing
> smtp is from a client, not a server, and there are no TOS statements
> about which clients I can or cannot use.

Actually, the rules, from what I've seen and just read, promise basically jack
skwat.

> But the point is that the DO NOT put any restrictions on traffic
> eminating/originating *from* the residential connection, only
> connections
> *destined to, but not originating from* said connection.

Only one that is explicitly stated, yes.  But they imply we're gonna do what
we want, and allow what we want.

> IOW, as long as the connection originates from my system, there is no
> restriction, since originating/initiating connections are *clients*.
> Incoming connections to a system, which are externally originated,
> mena the destination is a server, and *this* is what is restricted
> by the TOS, not the former.

  So they shouldnt filter netbios broadcast traffic either, right?  It's not
in the TOS..

--
Thomas Charron
-={ Is beadarrach an ni an onair }=-