SCO Unix Intellectual Property Pedigree Chart

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Thu May 1 13:36:29 EDT 2003

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 01:25:46PM -0400, pll at lanminds.com wrote:

> In a message dated: 01 May 2003 12:26:03 EDT
> Derek Atkins said:
>
> >Chris Brenton <cbrenton at chrisbrenton.org> writes:
> >
> >> Its because of these suits that many people have stopped using Caldera.
> >
> >I dont think so -- I think they never started using Caldera because
> >Caldera's distro sucked monkey balls.  They sent me a copy of their
> >distro a few years back and although I never installed it, I could tell
> >it was klunky by the pictures on the outside of the box.
>
> Weren't they the ones who had a version of Tetris you could play
> while waiting for the install to complete?  Or was that the
> WordPerfect people? I always thought that was a neat idea, but then
> realized, if you have time to play tetris during an install,
> something's drastically wrong.  An install should take less than 10
> minutes from start to finish :)

I bought Caldera years ago ('96/97?) so I could get a copy of WordPerfect.
I forgot how badly I disliked WordPerfect and used it exactly twice.
Caldera and WordPerfect that is.

Getting more topical, I noticed that while there were lines FROM Linux
to SCO products, I didn't notice many lines going TO Linux. And many
of the lines actually come from BSD (probably bits of the TCP layer
and some SCSI drivers).  Based on how they're drawing this, SCO could
claim they own BSD.

-Mark